Most people have thought once or twice about completing a full body detox cleanse, but never commit fully because of the fear wrapped around the whole cleanse process.
I like to think of cleansing and detoxifying your body like spring cleaning your home. You end up with a huge mess in the midst of it all, feel like it is never going to be done and wonder why you started in the first place. Then it all comes together and you are left with this beautiful space; free of dust, build-up and junk. The same thing happens when you cleanse and detoxify your body. The toxins are the dust, build-up and junk taking up space in your body.
“A toxin is a poisonous substance that is a specific product of the metabolic activities of a living organism and is usually very unstable, notably toxic when introduced into the tissues, and typically capable of inducing antibody formation.” ~Merriam-Webster~
Our bodies are exposed to toxins every minute of ever day both internally from a cellular level and from our environment. Our bodies have an amazing self defending and self repairing system in place, therefore; are in a constant state of detox. Just like the rest of life though our bodies have a limit and when they become overwhelmed with toxins the process slows down and may not work as efficiently as it should.
This is when we begin to feel the effects of the toxins building up in our body; insomnia, headaches, fatigue, weight gain, bad breath, achy muscles, skin reactions, and/or candida overgrowth.
During a cleanse the body has an opportunity to purge the material that does not belong inside of us by increasing the amount of stored toxins, pathogens & metabolic wastes that leave our cells. Our bodies are equipped with organs that work independently as well as synergistically to eliminate these toxins from our bodies.
These organs are liver, colon, kidneys, lymphatics, blood, skin, & lungs and this is why when we are cleansing we could potentially feel a variety of symptoms throughout the whole body.
5 common symptoms that come with detoxifying your body:
- Fatigue. Our body is an energy producing machine on a normal day, burning calories on a cellular level when we are standing still. When we cleanse the extra energy that is needed to rid our bodies of the “junk” causes our to feel more fatigued.
- GI Upset. This comes in many different forms; loose stools, nausea, gas, and/or bloating. This is a common symptom and probably the one people fear the most. This symptom occurs because our body rids the toxins through the intestines which ultimately leads to our stools.
- Headaches. When detoxifying our body the cells release the toxins back into the bloodstream for them to be eliminated from the body; which leads to systemic symptoms like headaches.
- Skin Breakouts. Our toxins can be eliminated from the body in numerous ways and the skin just happens to be one of of the outlets for this to take place. People may suffer from rashes or acne during a cleanse; which is caused by the toxins leaving the body through the largest organ…the skin.
- Irritability. We may not notice this symptom as much as the people around us may notice it, but we need to be aware of it so we can be proactive in controlling it. Our body is working overtime during a cleanse and due to the extra amount of toxins floating around in our blood stream for elimination we may feel the effects on our mood.
Although these symptoms seem daunting and no one really wants to suffer with them, the outcomes of the process is worth it. You will feel re-energized, lighter and refreshed.
Give your body the spring cleaning it deserves.
Real Life. Real You.
Amy Bowers xo