By all means I am not planning to become vegan, but becoming more plant-based has been a nutritional goal of mine for some time. This has been no easy feat as I am married to a man who LOVES meat and I have a daughter who’s favourite meal is ribs.
The beauty of any nutritional plan is that it can always be adapted and changed. There does not need to be an end goal. I always say that living a holistic life is ongoing and you need to adjust and make changes along the way.
Point being…I have not made too many meatless meals in the 13 years we have been married that has not been met with moans and groans. But, I decided to give another one a try tonight and it was a success! Since I have been trying to “sneak” these meatless meals onto the table with little success over the years I consider tonight a win and a step in the right direction.
I made Jackfruit Burritos. Everyone loved them; well except for Madden, but to be honest he didn’t make his into a burrito cause he just wanted everything separate on his plate. Bryce even used the word “GREAT” when describing them!!
The beauty was that they were super easy and did not have to make sure any meat was thawed to make dinner. Great idea for a night where you totally forgot to thaw any hamburger, but you are really craving some Mexican flavours.
Vegan Jackfruit Burritos
- 1 can organic young Jackfruit
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Brown rice
- 1 can Black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup White onion, chopped
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 cup Purple cabbage, chopped
- 4 Gluten free wraps
How to put it all together:
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Cut jackfruit into small slices from core outwards.
- Cook jackfruit in a skillet over medium heat with taco seasoning and water. Cook until it resembles pulled pork, about 5-10 mins. Add more water during process if needed.
- While jackfruit is cooking, chop tomatoes, cilantro, white onion, purple cabbage & avocado. Drain and rinse black beans at this time as well.
- Once jackfruit and rice are cooked, warm up GF wraps in microwave for 15 secs. Remove and layer all ingredients into centre of wrap.
- Roll the wrap up and enjoy!
Amy Bowers xo